Glute bridges overload the the glutes (bum) better than most other exercises, and are a great posterior chain exercise to support back health, aesthetics and athletic performance.
Primary Purpose: Strengthen the glutes; get sexy.
Additional Purposes: Train the back, core, hips and legs to work together, improving trunk and hip integrity. Build hip drive, improving squats, deadlifts and sprinting.
- Wrap a pad around the centre of the barbell.
- Lie on your back under the bar, positioning the pad in the crease of your hips.
- Bring your heels close to your hips.
- Squeeze your scapulae (shoulder blades) together and grip the bar.
- Tilt your pelvis backwards and engage your glutes.
- Digging your heels into the floor, contract your core and drive your hips up explosively. Keep your posterior pelvic tilt and lead with your glutes.
- Extend your hips as far as possible without hyperextending your lower back. Expect to achieve some hyperextension of the hips (not the lower back).
- Hold the very top position, squeezing your glutes.
- Lower under control.